Drop down header

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Bike/Kit: Introducing The Bike

The Bike, gender currently tbc (1), is a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.

I chose the Tenere because I didn't want / couldn't justify the price of a BMW, didn't trust the reliability of the Ducati (speaking from experience - the other woman in my life is a 748) or the Triumph and couldn't find an equivalent Honda or Suzuki. Although I like the idea of a KTM I didn't want to have to get a bigger bike - I went for the 660 over the 1200 Super Tenere as I'm not sure I could see the benefit in a bigger, heavier (therefore thirstier and harder to pick up) bike. That makes it sound like it was a process of elimination rather than a positive choice but (so far) I'm a big fan of the Tenere. The tank is big and it's relatively frugal so has good range. Once you swing your leg over it (it's quite tall), it's comfortable to ride and nicely balanced seated or stood. The 660 engine, although not going to win many drag races, is known for being bomb proof, and (apparently) has a low compression ratio which means it will cope better with poor quality fuel (which might be more likely in some of the places I'm going to). That's not to say that the other's aren't legitimate choices - that's not an argument I want to get into!

The bike at Dover about to make its first foreign foray

It came fitted with the "Adventure" kit which comprises panniers, hand guards, main stand and tank pad. I've made a couple of alterations / additions to this:
  • Crash plate (Adventure spec) - this appeared to offer more side protection than the Yamaha or Touratech ones although there is some vibration;
  • Heated grips (Oxford);
  • Headlight protector (Yamaha);
  • Fog lamps - left and right (Touratech);
  • Auxiliary power socket (Touratech);
  • Camel toe (Touratech);
  • Radiator grill (Metal Mule);
  • Brake fluid reservoir protector (Touratech);
  • Works footpegs (Touratech);
  • Screen spoiler (Touratech);
  • Rectifier cover (Touratech);
  • RAM bracket for GPS (RAM mount UK);
  • Scottoiler vSystem with Dual injector (Scottoiler);
  • Zega Pro topcase rack (Touratech) - because I wanted to future proof it so I can use one of these...;
  • Input for Oxford Solariser, solar battery charger.

In terms of luggage I have:
  • 2 x panniers (22ltr each, Yamaha);
  • 1 x tail bag (40ltr Wolfman Expedition dry duffel);
  • 1 x tank bag (12 ltr - claimed, Touratech);
  • 1 x handle bar bag (Touratech).

This seems like a lot but once you include tools, spares, paperwork and camping equipment there's not a lot left for luxuries like spare socks!


A profile view, not far from Ghent in Belgium

Notes
1. I'm not sure if it'll be the stalwart male companion that digs me out of a hole or the female love that I occasionally have a shouting match with but would go to the end of the world for.

No comments:

Post a Comment