Drop down header

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Miner's food

A couple of people had told me that I was in for a treat when I got to Minas Gerais. I thought it was just that the area has a surprisingly high number of good restaurants - I was wrong, in the best possible way.

Let me talk you through my supper the night before last (my welcome to Minas Gerais meal), below is a photo (fine - I'm not a food Instagrammer and I wasn't going to use the flash because that's just weird...).

Clockwise from the 12 o'clock position we have two large chunks of cooked ham, or pork (to be honest I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, I'm going to Google it now [1]), then crackling, although it's more like uber fresh pork scratchings, pork sausage, then beans and farofa (ground fried manioc flour I think), rice, egg on top and in the middle a bunch of kale. Out of shot are two plates with the same quantity of everything bar the pork, sausage and egg...

Then for breakfast, warm pão de queijo (other than proper tea and fresh porridge or a full English the only thing I'll actually voluntarily get up early for), goiaba jam (from guavas) and three (yes, three) different variations of cake. And I'm staying in a hostel for R$38 (about £8) a night...

Notes:
1. In case you're interested, a Telegraph article describes Ham as raw pork meat that has been cured by baking or boiling and comes from the thigh meat on the joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment